HCG EKO Cancer Centre is a dedicated comprehensive cancer care centre in Kolkata, West Bengal. It is a partnership between HCG (HealthCare Global Enterprises Ltd), India’s largest provider of cancer care and EKO Diagnostic Pvt Ltd, a leading diagnostic and imaging chain in Eastern India. Through this collaboration, we are marking a major step forward in winning over cancer. It is founded with the vision of adding life to years by redefining healthcare through global innovation.
HCG EKO Cancer Centre has a large team of cancer specialists with all major cancer treatment modalities such as surgical oncology, radiation oncology, medical oncology and nuclear medicine along with the bone marrow transplantation department made available under a single roof.
HCG EKO Cancer Centre was the first hospital in Eastern India to introduce Radixact – the next-generation TomoTherapy machine for superior precision radiation delivery. Through the adoption of new-age technology and innovative treatment approaches, HCG EKO Cancer Centre is all set to become Kolkata’s Cancer Care Destination.
We, at HCG EKO Cancer Centre, believe in delivering cancer care that is value-based and patient-centric.
The multidisciplinary treatment approach helps our specialists devise a customised treatment plan for our patients based on their cancer type, stage and their overall condition.
The multidisciplinary team comprises trained and highly skilled surgical, radiation & medical oncologists along with experts in pain management to cater to the needs of our patients. This core team is supported by a qualified and trained team of doctors, dietitians, physiotherapists & psycho-oncologists who are trained to provide round the clock support to patients.
This personalised approach will have a positive impact on the treatment response and recovery among patients.
Diagnostic Services at HCG EKO Cancer Centre
The success of any cancer treatment lies in its diagnosis. At HCG EKO, the cutting-edge technology and the expertise of our highly skilled oncologists help us achieve high-level accuracy in our diagnostics and thereby help patients with the best care possible.
PET-CT: PET-CT is an advanced molecular imaging technique that not only collects the anatomical data but also the data on the biochemical activity within the body. PET-CT imaging is helpful in diagnosis, staging, treatment monitoring, restaging and relapse evaluation.
Mammography: Mammography uses low-dose X-rays to obtain images of the breast tissue. Mammography detects breast cancer at least two years before it can be found by the physician during a clinical examination.
Colour Doppler Ultrasound: Through this diagnostic technique, specialists study the blood flow within the vessels to detect cancer. This diagnostic method helps oncologists in differentiating between benign and malignant nodes in various parts of the body.
The centre also houses a state-of-the-art laboratory for comprehensive biochemistry, pathology, histopathology, molecular biology analyses along with 24-hour blood bank support.
Treatment at HCG EKO Cancer Centre
HCG EKO Cancer Centre is one of our centres of excellence that is made capable of delivering comprehensive treatment solutions for various life-threatening disorders, such as cancers and haematological diseases.
We have well-equipped departments of radiation oncology, medical oncology, surgical oncology, nuclear medicine and haematology and BMT. Each department is supported by skilled specialists who focus on delivering personalised and value-based treatment and care to the patients in and around Kolkata.
During radiation therapy, high-energy radiation, in the form of X-rays or photons, is used to destroy the tumour cells by damaging their DNA structure. Radiation therapy is often coupled with other treatment modalities, such as surgery and chemotherapy for enhanced efficacy.
HCG EKO Cancer Centre has some of the most dynamic radiation therapy programs for the efficient management of various cancer types. The centre houses the cutting-edge Radixact radiation delivery platform that is capable of delivering high precision radiation therapy. This latest generation of external radiotherapy delivery system is equipped with Helical Tomotherapy Linear Accelerator. This unique feature enables it to deliver daily MVCT Image-guided Intensity Modulated conformal radiation therapy for the treatment of malignant and benign tumours. This state-of-art technology is equipped to treat all cancer sites with equal accuracy making it one of the most accurate machines of all time.
The surgical oncology department at HCG EKO Cancer Centre is equipped with advanced technology to support both open and minimally invasive surgeries. Our surgical oncologists are trained in performing new-age surgical procedures, such as organ preservation surgeries, keyhole surgeries, etc.
Cancer surgeries are often coupled with other treatment modalities like radiation therapy or chemotherapy for overall better clinical outcomes.
Our surgical oncologists are well-trained and experienced in major oncology subspecialties, namely head and neck cancers, uro oncology, gynae oncology, ortho oncology, etc.
HCG EKO Cancer Centre houses a full-fledged medical oncology department that is made capable of delivering high-dose chemotherapy, targeted therapy and biological therapy. We also have a day care chemotherapy ward, where patients can receive chemotherapy as an outpatient.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy uses specialised drugs that travel throughout the body and destroy the fast-dividing cancer cells. Other treatment modalities such as radiation therapy and surgery are often coupled with chemotherapy for enhanced effectiveness of the overall treatment.
- Targeted Therapy: Unlike chemotherapy that targets the fast-dividing cells, which could be either cancerous or non-cancerous, targeted therapy precisely targets the cancer cells, while sparing the non-cancerous, healthy cells. Targeted therapy identifies specific markers or substances present on the cancer cells and uses them as a signal to launch an attack.
- Biological Therapy: Biological therapy or immunotherapy is another type of systemic cancer treatment under medical oncology, wherein the patient’s immune system is reprogrammed to identify and kill the cancer cells.
HCG EKO Cancer Centre has a full-fledged haemato oncology and BMT department to treat and manage various benign and malignant blood disorders. Bone marrow transplant or stem cell transplant is the process of replacing damaged or destroyed stem cells with healthy ones.
The BMT experts at HCG EKO are well-trained and experienced in performing both autologous (stem cells donated by the patient) and allogeneic transplants (stem cells donated by a donor).
A bone marrow transplant serves as a potential cure for multiple blood disorders like aplastic anaemia, thalassaemia, early-stage blood malignancies, etc.
The nuclear medicine department at HCG EKO Cancer Centre is made capable of delivering high-end and comprehensive diagnostic and treatment solutions like PET-CT imaging, Radioactive Iodine Ablation Therapy for thyroid cancers and other thyroid-related disorders.
Key features of the facility include:
- State-of-the-art facility as per AERB norms
- Continuous availability of Iodine-131 with no waiting period
- Qualified high-dose therapy team
- 4 dedicated wards
- Round-the-clock monitoring for efficient outcomes
- Latest technology ensuring patient safety
Pain and Palliative Care
Palliative care focuses on improving the quality of life for patients with advanced-stage cancers. People with cancer may receive palliative care at any time from the point of diagnosis, throughout treatment and beyond.
Palliative care primarily focuses on managing the symptoms caused due to cancer, which could be pain or other discomfort and supporting a better quality of life for patients. While delivering palliative care, we consider the hardships of both the patients and their caregivers and ensure to provide a humane and dignified end to the patient’s suffering.
Our pain management specialists are trained in managing acute, chronic and recurrent pain.
Infrastructure of HCG EKO Cancer Centre
As a dedicated comprehensive cancer centre, HCG EKO Cancer Centre provides patients with access to a wide range of cancer care solutions starting from prevention, screening and diagnosis to treatment, rehabilitation and palliative care.
- HCG EKO is an 88-bedded cancer hospital with screening, diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitation facilities under one roof. The patient wards are categorised into deluxe, semi-deluxe, suite and presidential suites.
- There are 6 bone marrow transplant wards that allow patients to receive bone marrow transplants under aseptic conditions.
- The centre also houses 4 iodine therapy wards to treat thyroid cancers through radioactive iodine ablation therapy.
- HCG EKO is equipped with 2 full-fledged, modular operation theatres.
- The centre houses day care chemotherapy wards for patients who have been recommended with shorter therapies or procedures that do not require a hospital stay.
- The centre also has a well-equipped ICU with 12 beds with a strong team of dedicated intensivists and attenders available to cater to the needs of patients round-the-clock. It also has isolation wards for patients battling infectious diseases. .
- HCG EKO has a rehabilitation support department that comprises dieticians, physiotherapists, yoga therapists, speech therapists, nurses, etc. Through the multidisciplinary approach, this team supports holistic recovery among cancer patients who have just finished their treatment.
- HCG EKO is one of the few centres in West Bengal to offer comprehensive home health services such as sample collection, medicine delivery, in-home rehabilitation services, palliative care, etc.
- Other facilities include ambulance, pharmacy, wheelchairs, cafeteria, parking and WiFi access.