VitalBeam – Radiation Therapy Supported by Intelligent Automation
VitalBeam is an advanced radiation delivery platform designed to treat tumours through intelligent automation that not only helps target the tumour precisely but also reduces the overall treatment duration.
VitalBeam brings the best of both worlds by combining intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) for optimum image guidance and precise radiation delivery.
This platform is smart enough to synchronise multiple parameters that are associated with precision, namely imaging, patient positioning, motion management, radiation beam shaping and dose delivery along with accuracy assessment every ten milliseconds. This way, VitalBeam supports superior precision radiation delivery while minimising damage to the surrounding healthy tissues.
This platform is mainly used to treat the cancers of the breast, head and neck, spine, lung and prostate along with other regions.
How Does VitalBeam Work?
VitalBeam system comprises a streamlined treatment console along with an easy-to-operate graphical interface that has controls for imaging, motion management and radiation delivery in one place. This integration helps specialists treat complex cancers through powerful radiotherapy modalities like intensity-modulated radiation therapy or RapidArc® radiotherapy with minimal side effects. Its high-quality imaging feature plays a critical role in ensuring that the radiation is delivered to the tumour precisely and damage to the surrounding tissues is remarkably reduced.
During VitalBeam treatment sessions, the patient will be asked to lie on the treatment couch as the machine rotates around him/her delivering radiation beams from multiple angles.
As an advanced radiation platform, VitalBeam shapes the radiation beams to the contours of the tumour. This helps in protecting the surrounding healthy tissues and critical structures.
The administered radiation beams kill the tumour cells by destroying their DNA structure. The number of sessions depends on various factors like the size, location and shape of the tumour. IMRT and IGRT treatments are given daily for several weeks, whereas the SRS and SBRT treatments are typically given in 1 to 5 sessions, and the entire treatment may take 1 to 2 weeks only.
Lastly, each session lasts for 10 to 20 minutes only.
Advantages of VitalBeam
- VitalBeam’s imaging and motion management feature helps specialists target the tumour with pinpoint accuracy. This positively impacts the clinical outcomes.
- Its respiratory gating property prevents the radiation beams from missing the tumour or targeting the healthy cells. This helps in reducing the risk of side effects.
- VitalBeam helps specialists treat hard-to-reach tumours with enhanced precision.
- VitalBeam targets the tumour from multiple angles and helps specialists achieve positive clinical outcomes.
- Its intelligent automation feature allows the platform to deliver high dose radiation in a shorter time period. This remarkably reduces the overall treatment duration.
- It is a non-invasive procedure that is safe, effective and comes with fewer treatment-related complications.
Frequently Asked Questions
VitalBeam platform is unique and powerful for many reasons. It delivers faster, precise and effective radiation therapy.
VitalBeam’s unique intelligent automation dynamically synchronises CT-imaging, patient positioning, motion management, beam shaping and lastly, radiation delivery and thereby ensures that the radiation is delivered to the tumour precisely.
This feature also helps in minimising damage to the surrounding healthy tissues and supports faster recovery. All these factors make VitalBeam unique and also patient-friendly at the same time.
This depends on your cancer type, its stage and size. Some cancers need several sessions, while some cancers can be treated in fewer sessions.
When your expert team discusses your treatment plan, they will also inform you about your treatment sessions, their numbers and frequency. If you have any queries, you can get them addressed during this discussion.
Radiation therapy, today, comes with relatively fewer treatment complications. We have seen many patients getting back to their normal lives almost immediately after the treatment. However, some may experience fatigue, pain, skin reactions, reduced immunity, loss of appetite, depending on the organ treated. These side effects may wear off within 3 to 4 weeks, or they may even last up to 4 months.
However, if your side effects are severe, you should get in touch with your doctor.
Below are few things that you can do to make yourself feel better after the treatment:
- Rest adequately after each treatment session
- Eat healthy food and perform gentle exercises; the intensity of your exercises can change as your health starts improving.
- Reduce stress by immersing yourself in activities that you love
- Understand that it may take some time for you to become the old you and plan your activities accordingly
- Make sure to adhere to the follow-up instructions given by your expert team.
No, you don’t need to get admitted for your PET-CT scan.
However, your doctor will provide special instructions on your food and water intake before your scan, and this has to be followed without fail.
There are a few things you need to keep in mind before your digital PET-CT scan:
- You should avoid eating anything for about six hours before your scan. You may have to refrain from exercising for 24 hours prior to the scan. You should remove metal objects like jewellery, hairpins, dentures, eyeglasses etc., before the exam as theseaffect the CT scan results.