The HCG – Malnad Hospital & Institute of Oncology, Shimoga, is the first dedicated comprehensive cancer centre in the district of Shimoga. The centre was established in 2003 with the continuous efforts of like-minded medical professionals and philanthropists of Shimoga in collaboration with HCG.
As a first-of-its-kind oncology facility in the Malnad region, the centre caters to the cancer care needs of surrounding districts, namely Chikmagalur, Davangere, Chitradurga, Haveri and Karwar, which do not have a dedicated cancer care centre.
HCG – MHIO offers a wide range of cancer care solutions ranging from prevention, screening and diagnosis to treatment, rehabilitation and palliative care.
The centre houses all three cancer treatment modalities, namely radiation oncology, surgical oncology and medical oncology. Each department at the HCG MHIO is adequately prepared to provide care that not only improves patients’ chances of survival but also allows them to live a normal and healthy life following treatment.
Along with being the region’s dedicated cancer care provider, HCG MHIO has also been a part of numerous community activities:
- Cancer Awareness and Detection Camps
- Cancer Clinics
- Financial Aid to Cancer Patients through HCG Foundation
- Free Food Programme
In order to enhance the care accessibility for our patients, our hospital is empanelled with the following bodies:
- Ayushman Arogya Karnataka Yojana for APL And BPL Card Holders
- JSS State Government Employees and BPL Card Holders
- Arogya Bhagya for Police Employees and their Family
- Insurance TPA’s (Medi Assist, Vidal TTK, Religare etc.)
At HCG MHIO Cancer Centre, we believe in providing patient-centred, value-based cancer care.
Our physicians use a multidisciplinary therapy strategy to create personalised treatment plans for our patients depending on their cancer type, stage, and overall physical condition. To put it another way, the treatment will be tailored to the patient rather than the cancer type.
At HCG MHIO, medical, surgical, and radiation oncologists, as well as pain management and oncopathology experts make up the multidisciplinary team. This individualised approach will have a positive impact on the patient’s treatment response and recovery.
Diagnostic Services atHCG – Malnad Hospital & Institute of Oncology
X-Ray: X-ray helps in detecting structural abnormalities within the body. X-ray play an important role in the detection of lung, stomach and kidney cancers.
Ultrasound Scan: An ultrasound scan is suggested if swelling, pain or any symptoms are witnessed. This scan provides comprehensive information on the functioning of various internal organs and abnormalities if any.
We also have an in-house laboratory for pathology, histopathology tests, etc., which will help us provide the best diagnostic support to our patients.
Treatment atHCG – Malnad Hospital & Institute of Oncology
Combining two or more treatment modalities may improve the overall efficacy of the therapy as well as the treatment response in patients. We have all major cancer therapy techniques available at HCG MHIO for the treatment and management of a wide range of malignancies.
Radiation oncology is one of the main pillars of cancer treatment. Radiation therapy has many goals; it could be administered as the main or only treatment to destroy the tumour; it could be recommended as adjuvant therapy to surgery or chemotherapy, or it could also be administered as a part of the palliative support.
The radiation oncology department at HCG MHIO houses the state-of-the-art Siemens Primus linear accelerator, which is capable of delivering 3DCRT, IMRT and IGRT for a broad spectrum of cancers. The centre also has a brachytherapy unit to deliver internal beam radiation therapy. Brachytherapy comes with fewer side effects and allows superior precision radiation delivery.
Surgery is one of the pivotal cancer treatment modalities. Surgeries could help with the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of various cancer types. Our surgical oncologists are trained and experienced in performing surgeries, such as:
- Gynaec Onco Surgery
- Ortho Oncology
- Uro Oncology
- Breast Surgery
- Oral Onco Surgery
- Ortho Oncology
- Head and Neck Surgery
- Hepato-Biliary Surgery
Our surgical oncologists have completed special training programmes in performing conservation surgeries that help in preserving the structure and functioning of the cancer-affected organs and improving the quality of life for patients. Our specialists have extensive experience in performing organ conservation surgeries for:
- Larynx and Pharynx
- Limb Sarcoma
- Rectum and Anal Canal
Apart from these, the centre also specialises in performing minimally invasive surgeries namely gastrectomy, colorectal resections and laparoscopy. Minimally invasive surgeries help patients by reducing the duration of hospital stay as well as post-operative pain and morbidity. This approach also positively impacts the post-treatment quality of life among patients.
Our medical oncologists are experienced in delivering chemotherapy (inpatient and outpatient) for multiple cancer types. These systemic therapies use various mechanisms to destroy the cancer cells and help patients lead a better life after the treatment. These treatments are often combined with other treatment modalities for enhanced efficacy of the overall treatment.
Infrastructure ofHCG – Malnad Hospital & Institute of Oncology
- The spacious OPD rooms and the waiting areas at HCG MHIO Cancer Centre create an ambient setting for patients.
- HCG MHIO is a 55-bedded hospital with the availability of general wards, private wards and deluxe wards.
- The hospital’s OT complex comprises 2 major and 1 minor full-fledged operation theatres.
- With a team of professional intensivists available around the clock, the HCG MHIO Cancer Centre has a modern and well-equipped ICU that facilitates comprehensive critical care support. This ICU also has specialised isolation units for patients who have been diagnosed with highly infectious medical conditions.
- Palliative care department is also set up at the centre to support symptom management among terminally ill patients and help them have a peaceful end-of-life experience.
- We have dedicated unit managers and helplines to make sure that all of our patients’ treatment needs are addressed and they have a comfortable cancer journey.
- Other facilities include onco-pathology, ambulance, pharmacy, etc.