HCG Cancer Centre, Borivali, is Mumbai’s first private comprehensive cancer centre established to treat cancer with superior quality, evidence-based treatment approaches. Our care delivery and all other services offered are laid out as per the NABH-Guidelines 2016. Through the adoption of global innovations and value-based medicine, we, at HCG, focus on treating every cancer patient the right way, the first time.
At HCG Cancer Centre, cancer patients are provided access to 360° cancer care starting from prevention, screening, second opinion, diagnosis and treatment to rehabilitation and palliative or supportive care.
HCG Cancer Centre was the first hospital in the state of Maharashtra to introduce the Elekta Versa HD radiation machine, which is equipped with the Agility for high-speed and superior precision radiation delivery.
We, at HCG Cancer Centre, Borivali, believe in delivering cancer care that is value-based and patient-centric.
The multidisciplinary treatment approach helps our specialists devise a customised treatment plan for our patients based on their cancer type, stage and their overall condition. In other words, the treatment given will be specific to that patient rather than to that specific cancer type.
The multidisciplinary team comprises trained and highly skilled surgical, radiation & medical oncologists along with experts in pain management to cater to the needs of our patients. This core team is supported by a qualified and trained team of doctors, dietitians, physiotherapists & psycho-oncologists who are trained to provide round the clock support to patients.
This personalised approach will have a positive impact on the treatment response and recovery among patients.
Diagnostic Services at HCG Cancer Centre, Borivali
The high-end diagnostic technology that we use at our hospital helps us understand various types of cancers and other diseases and achieve the right diagnosis.
PET-CT: PET-CT is a non-invasive and painless procedure that combines the structural data from the CT along with the metabolic activity data from the PET imaging. PET-CT has a role in various stages of cancer management namely diagnosis, treatment planning, restaging, treatment monitoring and relapse evaluation.
Mammography: Mammography is considered to be one of the most effective methods used for breast cancer detection. It is a simple procedure that uses low-dose X-ray beams on each breast to look for benign or malignant tumours or any other abnormalities.
X-ray: X-rays help find any structural abnormalities within the body and are used in the detection of tumours in bones and other organs like lungs, stomach and kidneys.
Colour Doppler Sonography: It is an ultrasound procedure, which assesses the blood flow within the vessels to detect tumour growth. It is an extremely useful diagnostic method that helps specialists differentiate between benign nodules and malignant ones.
We also have an in-house laboratory for pathology, histopathology tests, etc., which will help us deliver timely and accurate reports to our patients.
Treatment at HCG Cancer Centre, Borivali
HCG Cancer Centre has all three major treatment modalities namely surgical oncology, radiation oncology and medical oncology under one roof along with a dedicated haemato oncology department that helps the patients receive the revolutionary bone marrow transplantation.
Our team of medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, haematologists, BMT specialists, radiographers, lab technicians and other clinical staff are available round-the-clock to ensure that every need of every patient is catered to and the patient is comfortable throughout his/her stay.
Surgical oncology is a cancer treatment modality that involves the removal of the tumour and the nearby tissues through surgery. There are various factors that our expert team considers while recommending surgery as a treatment plan for the patients. The key factors include the type of cancer, size of the tumour, location, grade, stage of the tumour and other factors like the overall condition of the patient, his/her preference, etc.
The surgical oncology department at HCG is made capable of catering to cases from all major oncology subspecialties such as head and neck, urology, gynaecology, orthopaedics, etc.
In many cases, to achieve a positive clinical outcome, surgery is coupled with other cancer treatments like radiation therapy, chemotherapy or hormone therapy.
At HCG, the quality of life among the patients is considered as important as the success of the treatment itself. So, we’ve adopted innovative surgical management approaches such as organ preservation, organ reconstruction, etc., which will help them retain/regain their organ along with a positive impact on their overall wellbeing.
Radiation oncology is another cancer treatment modality wherein controlled use of radiation is involved in destroying the cancer cells. Radiation therapy can be used to treat a wide range of cancers. Usually, it is coupled with other treatment modalities such as chemotherapy, surgery or other treatments in order to increase the effectiveness of the overall treatment.
At HCG Cancer Centre, Borivali, we have the versatile, all-in-one radiation delivery system – Versa HD by Elekta. Versa HD is capable of delivering advanced treatments such as stereotactic radiotherapy (SRT) and stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) with superior precision and optimum speed while protecting the surrounding tissues.
Medical oncology, which is one of the three cancer treatment modalities, focuses on treating cancers systemically. Different treatment approaches under medical oncology include chemotherapy, immunotherapy, hormone therapy and targeted therapy. All these are systemic therapies i.e., these therapies use drugs that travel throughout the body to treat/kill cancer cells wherever they are.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is one of the most common treatments for cancer. Chemo drugs are designed to travel throughout the body and kill cancer cells. The centre also facilitates day care chemotherapy, which allows patients to receive chemotherapy and go home the same day. Our centre is also made capable of delivering Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) and Pressurized Intraperitoneal Aerosol Chemotherapy (PIPAC). These chemotherapy techniques help in minimising the systemic (entire body) effects that can be caused by IV chemotherapy.
- Targeted Therapy: Targeted therapy is a unique cancer treatment approach under medical oncology. It uses special drugs that precisely target cancer cells without harming normal, healthy cells. Targeted therapy identifies specific substances or areas on the cancer cells and employs them to attack these cells.
- Biological Therapy: Biological therapy or immunotherapy is a novel treatment approach wherein the patient’s immune system is reprogrammed to launch an attack against the cancer cells. This treatment approach is personalised for each patient, based on his/her immune response.
The medical oncology team at HCG Cancer Centre focuses on prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer through groundbreaking treatment protocols and personalised multimodal treatment plans.
Haemato Oncology and BMT
HCG Cancer Centre has a dedicated haemato oncology department for the treatment and management of multiple benign and malignant haematological disorders. The unit facilitates autologous and allogeneic bone marrow transplants for benign and malignant blood disorders. A bone marrow transplant or stem cell transplant is a medical procedure that replaces the damaged or destroyed bone marrow cells with healthy ones.
Infrastructure of HCG Cancer Centre, Borivali
HCG Cancer Centre is Mumbai’s first private comprehensive cancer centre located in Borivali, North Mumbai.
- This full-fledged cancer centre is equipped with 119 beds along with all major oncology facilities.
- The hospital’s operation theatre complex comprises 4 major and 1 minor OTs and all are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment.
- HCG houses a modern and well-equipped ICU that supports effective critical care management with a team of dedicated intensivists available to cater to the needs of the patients round the clock. This ICU also has specialised isolation wards for patients diagnosed with highly infectious medical conditions.
- Our care delivery is supported by well-trained nurses and paramedical staff who cater to our patients’ needs.
- We have dedicated unit managers and helplines to ensure that all our patients’ treatment requirements are met.
- The centre also houses an in-house canteen to provide nutritious food to the patients, their caretakers and visitors.
- HCG has a dedicated physiotherapy department to support rehabilitation and recovery among our patients.
- The centre also houses an in-house pharmacy (oncology and generic medicines).